- Departure of All, flights happening at all international airports across the world at the moment.
- The Fundamental Units, the lowest denomination coin from each active currency imaged to vast detail.
- Wars During My Lifetime, a newspaper collecting, archiving and distributing a list of all conflicts fought.
- International Directory of Fictitious Telephone Numbers, dials at random from over half a million numbers that are designated never to function.
- A Planetary Order (Terrestrial Cloud Globe), an object showing clouds as they were for a single moment in time.
- Grounds, a large photographic archive documenting the floors from important buildings with restricted access.
- Letters 2004-2006, the responses to mass letter writing that ask simple questions.
- Deed Poll, the process of a legal name change.
- All the people who have ever lived, and will ever live, quantified as grains of sand.
- I Wanted to See All of the News From Today, continually collects newspaper front covers from around the world, as they are published.
- Text Trends, looks at our perception of words and data in graphical form.
- Location of I, tracked and published live physical location each minute for over two years.
- Sonification of You, makes audible ambient data transmission.
- Martin John Callanan is Okay, documents social networks status updates.
- I Am Still Alive, a message sent to people nearby.
- I Wanted to See the Whole of London, creates journeys around the city.
- Nephology, cloud observations.
- Entire Collection, a film of copyright notices.
- Data Soliloquies, a co-authored book about the cultural fluidity of scientific data.
- Departure of All (solo) Noshowspace, London
- Open Cube, White Cube, Mason's Yard, London
- Along Some Sympathetic Lines (solo), Or Gallery, Berlin
- On Systems and Processes, profile in Art.es magazine
- Reason and Emotion: Landscape and the contemporary Romantic, Kunstverein Springhornhof, Neuenkirchen
- Martin John Callanan: Martin John Callanan (solo), Horrach Moya Gallery, Palma de Mallorca
- Whitstable Biennale
- Deed Poll, Whitechapel Gallery, London
- The London Open, Whitechapel Gallery, London
- Global (solo), Casal Solleric, Palma de Mallorca
Latest news and notes from the blog
- Philip Leverhulme Prize 2013
Leverhulme Awards Recognise Rising Stars of Research Martin John Callanan has been awarded a Philip Leverhulme Prize in Visual Art. This year, the Leverhulme Trust awarded up to 29 Philip Leverhulme Prizes to recognise researchers at an early stage of their career, whose work has … continue reading
- Certificate of Existence
Certificate of Existence, 2013 is a unique work in series published to coincide with an exhibition of new and ongoing work by Martin John Callanan at noshowspace in October 2013. Certificate of Existence is a self-portrait by the artist in the form of an original … continue reading
- Catalyst: Contemporary Art and War, Imperial War Museum, October 2013 – February 2014
IWM North Saturday 12 October 2013 – Sunday 23 February 2014 How do artists contribute to our perceptions of war and conflict in an age where our understanding is shaped by the media and the internet? This autumn, in Manchester, IWM presents its first major … continue reading
- Wars During My Lifetime, Imperial War Museum North, 13 October 2013
Artist Martin John Callanan, whose work features in IWM North’s latest exhibition, brings a special performance to the museum – featuring a town crier. Set against the backdrop of Daniel Libeskind’s award-winning building, representing a globe shattered by conflict, expect to be led around the … continue reading
- Departure of All, noshowspace, Bethnal Green, London
27 September – 26 October 2013, noshowspace, 13 Gibraltar Walk, Bethnal Green, London noshowspace is pleased to present Departure of All, Martin John Callanan’s first solo exhibition in London. Callanan is intrigued by systems present in society that shape our lives yet remain largely unobserved. In … continue reading
- Wars During My Lifetime, Canterbury
Performances: Saturday 21 September 2013 11:00 Dane John Gardens 12:30 Whitefriars 14:00 24 Burgate In a time when war is still being waged around the world a Peace Pavement in our Cathedral City of Canterbury strikes a note of hope. It is now twenty years … continue reading
- Fakturen, Leuphana University of Lüneburg
Eine Ausstellung organisiert vom Leuphana Arts Program (LAP) zu Gast im Kunstraum der Leuphana Universität Lüneburg Kunst und Wissenschaft stehen in einem komplexen und spannungsreichen Verhältnis. Die Ausstellung des Leuphana Arts Program präsentiert fünf künstlerische Positionen, die mit ihren Methoden und Resultaten nicht wissenschaftliche Projekte … continue reading
- Fundamental Units at White Cube Mason’s Yard, 12 July – 21 September 2013
São Paulo-based curator Adriano Pedrosa curates an attempt to “infiltrate the hierarchies of the gallery system” by inviting any interested artists to submit works through an open submission process involving an interview and selection system that closed in February 2013. Featured artists include Slade graduate … continue reading
- Clockwork Gallery, Berlin: Martin John Callanan is Okay, collaboration with Nick Crowe & Ian Rawlinson
Data from Martin John Callanan is Okay was made avalible to Nick Crowe & Ian Rawlinson who provided the advert poster for Berlin’s Clockwork Gallery, Hallesches Tor, Kreuzberg until 5 August 2013
- Verstand und Gefühl, Landschaft und die Zeitgenössische Romantik, Kunstverein Springhornhof, Neuenkirchen, Germany
VERSTAND & GEFÜHL / Landschaft und die zeitgenössische Romantik Kunstverein Springhornhof, Neuenkirchen, Germany 15. Juni – 18. August 2013 Kuratiert von Rebecca Partridge und Bettina v. Dziembowski Wohl kaum eine Epoche ist durch so viele Missverständnisse und Widersprüche geprägt wie die „sentimentale“ Romantik und wohl … continue reading
- more news and notes...