- I Cannot Not Communicate, a library of recommendations based on fifteen years of reading.
- Departure of All, flights happening at all international airports across the world at the moment.
- The Fundamental Units, the lowest denomination coin from each active currency imaged to vast detail.
- Wars During My Lifetime, a newspaper collecting, archiving and distributing a list of all conflicts fought.
- International Directory of Fictitious Telephone Numbers, dials at random from over half a million numbers that are designated never to function.
- A Planetary Order (Terrestrial Cloud Globe), an object showing clouds as they were for a single moment in time.
- Grounds, a large photographic archive documenting the floors from important buildings with restricted access.
- Letters 2004-2006, the responses to mass letter writing asking simple questions.
- Deed Poll, the process of a legal name change.
- All the people who have ever lived, and will ever live, quantified as grains of sand.
- I Wanted to See All of the News From Today, continually collects newspaper front covers from around the world, as they are published.
- Text Trends, looks at our perception of words and data in graphical form.
- Location of I, tracked and published live physical location each minute for over two years.
- Sonification of You, makes audible ambient data transmission.
- Martin John Callanan is Okay, documents social networks status updates.
- I Am Still Alive, a message sent to people nearby.
- I Wanted to See the Whole of London, creates journeys around the city.
- Nephology, cloud observations.
- Entire Collection, a film of copyright notices.
- Data Soliloquies, a co-authored book about the cultural fluidity of scientific data.
- Vitsœ, New York City
- Visiting Tutor, Goldsmith's, London
- International Film Festival Rotterdam
- E-Flux Conversations
- Media Art Futures, Murcia, Spain
- How to Construct a Time Machine, MK Gallery, Milton Keynes
- The Laughter of Things, Piet Zwart Institute
- Wars During My Lifetime, live broadcast, Whitstable Biennale
- The Fifth Season, James Cohan Gallery, New York
- Mapping Spaces, ZKM Karlsruhe, Germany
- Make the Living Look Dead, 2nd Cannons, Los Angeles
- A Planetary Order, Galerie Christian Ehrentraut, Berlin
- Departure of All (solo) Noshowspace, London
- Open Cube, White Cube, Mason's Yard, London
- Born Digital, Paddle8
- After A War, LIFT 2014, Battersea Arts Center, London
- Art and the Internet, Black Dog Publishing
- Catalyst: Contemporary Art and War, Imperial War Musesum North, Manchester
- Along Some Sympathetic Lines (solo), Or Gallery, Berlin
- On Systems and Processes, profile in Art.es magazine
- Wars During My Lifetime (performance), Imperial War Musesum North, Manchester
- Reason and Emotion: Landscape and the contemporary Romantic, Kunstverein Springhornhof, Neuenkirchen
- (Im)material Labour, Art Exchange, Colchester
- Whitstable Biennale
- Deed Poll, Whitechapel Gallery, London
- The London Open, Whitechapel Gallery, London
- Global (solo), Casal Solleric, Palma de Mallorca
Latest news and notes from the blog
- I Cannot Not Communicate at Vitsœ New York
I Cannot Not Communicate, Martin John Callanan at Vitsœ New York: 14–19 May 33 Bond Street New York NY 10012 T 1 917 675 6990 firstname.lastname@example.org At Vitsœ we like to share the work of creative people. So when Berlin and UK-based artist (and Vitsœ … continue reading
- Video DOC at Media Art Futures, Departure of All and Text Trends
Video DOC cinema programme at Media Art Futures, Murcia, 15-30 April 2015 features both Text Trends and documentary video of Departure of All. In his book “The Imaginary Museum” (1965), André Malraux asserted that in the reproductions of artworks published in books and exhibition catalogues … continue reading
- E-Flux Conversations: Paranoid Subjectivity and the Challenges of Cognitive Mapping – How is Capitalism to be Represented?
The most shocking thing about the Edward Snowden revelations is not so much their content as the fact that they have been met with little interest or surprise; not because people are unconcerned about the erosion of civil liberties, but because they thought that they … continue reading
- British Council Travel Grant Fund
I have received a grant from British Council Travel Grant Fund to travel to the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2015. They will be showing Departure of All and Text Trends.
- Mapping Spaces book edited by Ulrike Gehring
This large survey book builds on the ZKM Karlsruhe exhibition tracing the multifaceted relationship between art, science and technology in Dutch landscape art around 1650. Long before digital satellite imagery, Dutch artists used modern systems of remote sensing. Their art works provide valuable insights into … continue reading
- Piet Zwart Institute Symposium: The Laughter of Things
Monday January 26, 2015. 10am till 6pm Piet Zwart Institute, Karel Doormanhof 45 3012 GC Rotterdam Admission free This day of lectures and presentations will focus on old and recent media technologies of temporal measurement and control, and how they animate and re-animate human life. … continue reading
- 44th International Film Festival Rotterdam
The 44th International Film Festival Rotterdam will take place 21 January – 1 February 2015, and include Departure of All and Text Trends in the Signals: 24/7 programme. 24/7 will focus on the changing world & technology, and how the attention economy is affecting our … continue reading
- How to Construct a Time Machine, MK Gallery, Milton Keynes – Departure of All
23 January – 22 March 2015 Preview 22 January 2015 / 6-10pm MK Gallery, 900 Midsummer Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3QA. Admission is free www.mkgallery.org January 2015 MK Gallery presents How to Construct a Time Machine (23 January – 22 March 2015), an exhibition … continue reading
- New Directions in the Philosophy of Science (The Philosophy of Science in a European Perspective)
The Future of Objectivity Dr Chiara Ambrosio, UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies This volume sheds light on still unexplored issues and raises new questions in the main areas addressed by the philosophy of science. Bringing together selected papers from three main events, the … continue reading
- Image Politics of Climate Change: Visualizations, Imaginations, Documentations, Birgit Schneider, Thomas Nocke
Scientific research on climate change has given rise to a variety of images picturing climate change. These range from colorful expert graphics, model visualizations, photographs of extreme weather events like floods, droughts or melting ice, symbols like polar bears, to animated and interactive visualizations. Climate … continue reading
- more news and notes...